Morley Music Hall - Lake Erie College

Skinner Opus 647 was built in 1927 for Morley Music Hall in Painesville, Ohio, and contained 65 ranks across four manuals and pedal. In the 1970s the instrument was significantly altered to update it according to the prevailing style of the day. Much of the original pipe work was removed, the Solo and Echo divisions were eliminated, and the Skinner console was replaced with a new, modern style, three manual console. Over the years the organ slowly deteriorated due to age and water damage, and in 1995 was deemed unplayable.

The goal of this restoration was to faithfully recreate the sound and specification of the organ. Original pipe work from Opus 647 was repaired or rebuilt and returned to its original role. Other missing pipe work was recreated using scaling and voicing information from the original shop notes or by duplicating stops from other extant Skinner organs. A new four-manual replica console was handcrafted of mahogany to match the furnishings of Morley Music Hall.

For years, the alumni of Lake Erie College fondly remembered the sounds of the Skinner organ and waited for the day to hear it once again. Now restored, the organ is used to accompany choirs, play recitals, and, most importantly, train new generations of organists.

   
   
   

 

 

 

 


 
 

 

 

  Copyright © 2017 Muller Pipe Organ Company. All rights reserved